Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 08:59:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        brain_damaged <brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: port vs package

On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, brain_damaged wrote:

> Hello what is the differences between a PORT and a Package ? Is one
> better than the other ? Seems alot of them are not uptodate with the
> software on the home sites of that software. I assume cuz it was not
> written for Fbsd so whoever "ported" it has a different version number
> ?

the ports system (/usr/ports/) is a simple way to fetch and build pieces
of the software. assuming you update it, it will track, and update, the
software you install from it.

> What is the best way to install software ?

depends on your preference. i prefer to use ports for most things, but
since a few machines i run are rather.. old.. i occasionally use packages.

> I have done a /stand/sysinstall but can not always find what I want
> but yet if i go to the freebsd homepage and do a search I find it but
> not thru the /stand/sysinstall.

/stand/sysinstall is good for a few things, you're better off using
pkg_add -r <package name> to grab the package and install it on the
machine. /stand/sysinstall tend to look at the local cdrom drive first,
unless you tell it to use a ftp site.

hope this clears some things up,

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
	"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.. "