Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 16:25:42 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Robert Liotta <rsliotta@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting boot floppy problem

Robert Liotta wrote:

>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: quoted-printable

Kindly see what you can do to have your mailer send plain text messages
not as attachments, and please set word wrap at 72 characters as well.

When you boot, go into the CLI based kernel config mode and enter
di #device#
Where #device# is the device that freezes up when probing your $#%#$%#
AMD PCI SCSI. For example, if it locks up on probing ahc, enter:
di ahc

You can do other configuration changes as well. When done, enter "q" and
the kernel will boot.

Good luck,
Bill

I have been running FreeBSD 3.2 on a system forever.  It is an SMP
system.  At that time,
the onboard AMD PCI SCSI adapter was not supported.  I am trying to
upgrade to release
4.2.  I tried source and that is failing.  I have even seen some people
upgrade to release 3.5 and the go forward.  3.5 kernel hangs during
reboot.  So I am getting desperate.  I am trying to boot from floppies
and do a binary upgrade.  I figured I can just reupgrade from source
after that and I will be OK.  Now here's the problem.  This $#%#$%# AMD
PCI
SCSI now seems to be supported.  As soon as it hit this, I lock up
tight.  How do I tell the kernel to ignore a PCI device that is probed?
I know how to do the others.  Any help would be appreciated.
<<<