Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 18:02:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        brain_damaged@florida-wireless.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port vs package

brain_damaged wrote:

> Hello
> what is the differences between a PORT and a Package ? Is one better than the

> other ?

Both is the same. The one is source code you complie on your system (the ports)
and the other is the source code compiled on a different machine (the package).

> Seems alot of them are not uptodate with the software on the home sites of
> that software.

Then go and port the new version yourself. All ports are tested for working.
The package build process is not known to me so someone other may speak up for
that.

> I assume cuz it was not written for Fbsd so whoever "ported" it has a
> different
> version number ?

No, the version number stays the same. Read about that in the porters handbook
at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

> What is the best way to install software ?

Both are equally good. You must think a second about what _you_ want and then
choose one way - or mix the both styles.

> I have done a /stand/sysinstall but can not always find what I want but yet
if > i go to the freebsd homepage and do a search I find it but not thru the
> /stand/sysinstall.

About what are you talking here?

> thanks
> md

Hi,

I'm sure that you read all provided information before you ask questions. You
do I am sure about it.

So please take a look at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x3972.html

There is a whole chapter about the benefit of each collection + how to use it
"the right way" tm

Hope that helps

Marc