Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:31:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Roger Williams <root@bara.naviservers.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Backup

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:38:24PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Roger Williams wrote:

> > Hello all, Can anyone suggest a good multi-tape DLT system for
> > freebsd?  I have a small web hosting company which I need to back
> > up on a weekly basis.

> It depends.  If you mean something graphical with a GUI, search the
> ports directory at www.freebsd.org
>
> If not, then `man tar`

Errr... I think Roger was asking for hardware recommendations ---
something like the products shown at
http://www.qualstar.com/146075.htm (not that I'm recommending them,
just that their page was the first thing google found.)

So I guess Roger needs a system that is compatible with the ch(4)
device and chio(1) utility, and maybe something that will co-operate
with an archiving system like amanda (ports: misc/amanda-client,
misc/amanda-server).

Unfortunately, this is a tricky area: tape libraries tend to be big
ticket items out of the reach of most users, so control interfaces and
so forth are maybe not as standardized as they might be.  They also
vary massively in capacity and capabilities: a small tape library
might contain one DLT or AIT drive and 8 tapes (about 280Gb total
capacity) whereas a fairly typical "Enterprise" system might contain
30 tapes and 4 tape drives (about 1Tb total capacity), with all sorts
of bells and whistles like barcode readers or fibre-channel for direct
attachment to SANs.

Probably the best place to ask is on the freebsd-isp or freebsd-scsi
lists, but try and give some idea of the scale of the system you want
to build --- how many Gb you need to back up each day and so forth.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow