Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 23:39:32 +0100 (WET)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr
To:        jxh@cs.wustl.edu (James Hu)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd and CDROM

James Hu wrote / a ecrit:
> Hello!
>
> I am trying to get my CDROM drive to auto-mount and auto-unmount via
> amd.  What I would like is to be able to ``cd /cdrom'', and have it
> automatically mounted for me.  Then when I cd out of it via ``cd /''
> the CDROM automatically unmounts, so that I can press eject.
>
> However, my attempts have produced utter failures.  Clearly, I do not
> understand the format of the amd map file and the amd command line
> options, or how they interact.
>
> What I have tried is to create an entry in fstab for the CDROM:
> /dev/cd0a       /cdrom  cd9660  noauto,ro       0 0
>
> Then, I wanted to create an entry an amd.map entry which corresponds to
> /cdrom.  I tried something like:
> cdrom           type:=program;mount:="/sbin/mount mount /cdrom";unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /cdrom"
>
> and attempted with calls to amd which looked like:
> amd / amd.cdrom.map
>
> but this seems to lock up the machine.  Has anyone tried something
> similar and with better results than what I have been able to produce?

I would never claim to have a good  understanding  of  how  amd  works
(sometimes I wonder if anyone but its author has) but I'm pretty  sure
that starting amd with / as a map mount point is a bad idea. Amd takes
control over any directory specified as parameter and wants to resolve
any  access below that point through the associated map. In your case,
you're  telling amd how to "resolve" the cdrom dir under /, but you're
not giving it any rule for the other dirs. They  become  inaccessible.

I'm afraid starting at / would never succeed whatever your efforts  to
specify a correct map would be,  since  amd  itself  needs  to  access
files,   and   those   file   are   somewhere   below  /  of   course.

As  a  starter,  I'd  make  /cdrom  a  soft  link  to  something  like
/amd/cdrom,  and  start  amd  with  "/amd"  instead  of "/"  as  first
parameter.  You also need to add a rule for everything but cdrom under
/amd that just makes it a link to the local filesystem. That goes with
a  "*" as  key,  but  unfortunately  the machine I have amd maps on is
currently down, so I can't be more specific. Check the example for the
"hosts" map in amd's  documentation,  that  will  give  you  an  idea.

Good  luck  with  amd  -- you need it... and if you get replies from a
true amd guru take his word over mine (and give me his e-mail  address
;-)

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE