Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 09:59:16 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: World is broken

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 10:04:29AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Monday, 27 May 2002 at 16:22:54 +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 02:28:26PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >> Finally I have decided to give post gcc-3.1 perless world a
> >> try, but found that world doesn't build. :(( The system in
> >> question is 5-CURRENT makeworlded about a month ago.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>
> > Your /usr/include is hosed, well, actually your machine/stdarg.h
> > is the broken version (rev. 1.12).  Please manually install the
> > revision 1.14 under /usr/include/machine/ and try again.
>=20
> Why is the build using /usr/include?  I thought it should use the
> header files in the source tree.
>=20
Running kernel, the contents of /usr/include and /usr/lib, the
compiler and binutils are what constitute the so-called "host
environment".  Host environment is first used to build the new
compiler and binutils (cross-tools), various tools that have
compatibility issues (bootstrap-tools), and new libraries
(using new headers), and the world is then re-built with this
new set.

Thus, having a good non-broken /usr/include and /usr/lib stuff,
the non-broken compiler and binutils (that are compatible with
your currently running kernel) are the must for the successful
source builds.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,