Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 07:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/13020: Manpage capitalization

The following reply was made to PR docs/13020; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
To: tomoShige Tashiro <shige2@pop17.odn.ne.jp>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 09:51:18 -0400

 On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 12:46:34PM +0900, tomoShige Tashiro wrote:

 > I found Capitalized function call 'Putc' in man 3 putc,
 >  in Feb 1999 (docs/10247) and send-pr and fixed by Mr.hoek.

 They are illegal only when they bother someone...

 > About a half of manpages are written in 2. and 4.
 > and last half of manpages are written in 3.

 The _New_Hacker_Dictionary_ suggests moving function-names, etc. away
 from the beginning of sentences.  I usually try to do this.  In lue of
 that, I prefer writing "The gack() will return NULL on failure.".  I
 appear to be alone in preferring this to "The gack() function will
 return NULL on failure.".

 > But I think, if it's not strange for native English speakers,
 > then thats O.K. and no need to fix them.

 I think we should leave the PR open for about a year (until September,
 2000).  If nobody has dealt with it by that time, then it should be
 closed ("state: filibustered" :-).

 --
 This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.