Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:05:27 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@shazam.w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "m p" <sumirati@yahoo.de>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Still trying to use FreeBSD as a gateway for PPTP to DSL

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 08:38 am, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> m p writes:
> > i don't know anything about PPTP, but if it works
> > for your FreeBSD machine i see no reason why it
> > should not work over the net.
>
> I agree, but I haven't been able to find enough information on how to
> configure it to make it work.
>
> I finally gave up yesterday and installed a router between the DSL modem
> and the rest of my LAN (all two machines!).  This solved the problem real
> fast.  The router opens the PPTP session, then multiplexes the two machines
> onto that connection with NAT.  I have only one IP for both, but they are
> essentially client machines from the Net's viewpoint, anyway, and the
> router does allow me to direct certain types of traffic to specific
> machines.  It also includes a firewall, which is nice.  Most of the
> material I read recommended a hardware solution anyway, for security
> reasons, if not for performance, so I guess this will work out better.
>
> > First question: Can you ping the outside interface
> > of your FreeBSD system?
>
> It's IP address on the LAN, you mean?  Yes.  I just couldn't get Windows to
> route traffic to the outside world through the FreeBSD system.  I wasn't
> sure whether it was Windows messing things up, or a configuration error in
> FreeBSD. Anyway, I guess that is a moot point now.
>
> Of course, now I have another question:  How do I make sure that FreeBSD
> sees and picks up the router as the gateway to the outside world?  Should I
> hard code this in a configuration file somewhere (which one)?  Or will
> running something like routed work?  I found that by setting the router to
> use DHCP (which my other machines ignore, but by doing this I cause the
> router to broadcast DNS information it receives over the PPTP link as well,
> apparently), and by running routed, it seems to fix the problem, although I
> don't understand why.

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I have used FreeBSD as a gateway
for many LANS and currently I'm running PPTP here using the mpd from ports.

I didn't see the beginning of the thread, but in order to make the PPTP
clients gateway properly, I had to install an arp entry, because mpd was
not responding to arp requests and the clients didn't know to reply through
the PPTP port.

This stuff is all in the archives for this mailing list within the last year
or so.

In answer to your question, you need to set the default defaultrouter in the
/etc/rc.conf file to the IP of your router.

-Jim