Date:      Mon, 3 Jan 2000 00:49:10 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, nsouch@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS-UP newppbus for beta-testing

Hi there!

FOR ANYBODY THAT USES ZIP/PRINTER/PLIP ON THE PARALLEL PORT UNDER -current

A major ppbus(4) release is available for beta-testing.

It includes the port of the ppbus framework to the newbus system.

http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/ppbus.html

provides usefull notes about the configuration of ppbus through
the MACHINE file and the newppbus developement progression
(stability, caveats...)

The newppbus will come in remplacement to the previous standalone
ppbus architectural system.

I did not read recent announces about future FreeBSD 4.x releases :(
Of course, newppbus introduction would better before any -stable jump.

Note that, only probe/attach and function interfaces were concerned
by the port and tests are consequently only regression tests.
The port was not to hard and the result should not be too bad.
Moreover the current ppbus high level drivers stress the system
well I think: vpo (SCSI controller), lpt (with PS data filtered by
ghostscript and interrupts)

Feel free to contact me for more,

Nicholas.

--