Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 23:51:39 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        Erik Gault <egault@gmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xinetd vs. tcp_wrappers

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:02:19 EST, Erik Gault wrote:

> [...] I'd read a bit about inetd not being particularly secure so
> I thought I'd look into what the options were for replacing it or
> putting additional software into place to improve the situation.

Hi Erik,

Now that you've received a few interesting answers from people who
aren't following current FreeBSD development, let me tell you what's
happening. :-)

The tcp_wrappers package is in the process of being incorporated into
the base system. Our inetd is in the process of being taught how to link
against and use libwrap (like NetBSD's inetd).

Once that's done, FreeBSD will sport one of the coolest inetd's on the
block.

Follow the freebsd-current mailing list for updates on this story.

Ciao,
Sheldon.