Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 23:05:15 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPP curious behaviours

> Hi.
>
> Since I get my ppp connection up, user ppp is causing me some problems...
>
> I already posted some questions about these but got no or answers rather
> out of range.
>
> When I boot up, I get a ppp daemon running in bkgnd. (ppp -auto provider)
> Now, it's working fine alright, and I can use other comm software until I
> awake ppp for the first time (via lynx or ftp, or ...). After ppp is
> awaken, I can't get it to let the line loose.

Ppp should close the device when it's not in use.  You can check
/var/spool/lock for the device lock file (man uu_lock) and you can
use pppctl to ``show modem''.  If the lock file remains or the modem
shows open, then something's wrong.

> Sometimes it's starting without reasons,

Check the FAQ (http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html).  You need to
determine what's causing the connect - probably a DNS resolution.

> sometimes just after I disconnect it,
> always when I start Pine,
> not when I use mail,
> sometimes when I start minicom...
>
> (nice little song uuh?:)

Definitely sounds like a DNS lookup.

> When I use minicom, ppp tries to connect, and minicom can't do nothing but
> watch text pass by and ppp shouting. Shouldn't minicom get a lock on the
> modem or something like this?

It's probably doing the DNS lookup first.  I don't know anything
about minicom, but if should create a lockfile in the same was as the
uu_lock() routine does (or maybe should even use uu_lock under
FreeBSD).

> Pine is another bug. I haven't set it to check mail on the remote (I use
> fetchmail) specially cause I wanted to read my mail without getting on the
> phone line... What's causing this?
>
> I have a disconnect script to shut up ppp, and it's doing its job. When I
> use it, I hear the modem hanging up. It looks like this:
> #! /bin/sh
> # Disconnects from the internet
>
> exec /usr/local/bin/fetchmail --quit
> exec pppctl /var/run/internet set timeout 300\; close
> I think I've found this in the handbook. The fetchmail stuff is my adding.

I doubt it's doing its job.  The `exec' throws away the existing
shell and executes the specified programs.  Only use this in one-line
scripts.  The above will exec fetchmail and never come back to do the
pppctl - remove the `exec's.

> I got to kill the ppp daemon via top in order to free my phone line. This
> is extremely bugging, any suggestion is welcome.

You'll need to supply more info - what do `show modem' and `show
lcp' say.  Does the lock file exist in /var/spool/lock ?

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;