Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 17:13:24 -0400
From:      Leonard Zettel <zettel@acm.org>
To:        Reg <fbsd@typhoon.co.jp>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: resolv.conf overwrite

Reg wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My guess is that you're using DHCP?  If so, then resolve.conf is
> overwritten at boot time to reflect the information given out by the DHCP
> server.

Yes, it looks like I am using DHCP.  I have now studied the relevant
man pages.  To continue on the elephant one bite at a time, given
that I will (for the indefinite future anyway) always be going
to another machine on my local network (192.168.0.185) to get to the net,
is it necessary (or a good idea) to use DHCP?  If so, what service is it
providing (configuration or otherwise) that I need?  What information is it
using to create /etc/resolv.conf?  Given that 192.168.0.185 is not a
nameserver (at least I don't think it is), how do I disabuse DHCP of this
notion?
If I don't need DHCP, how do I turn it off?
   -LenZ-
> Reg.
>
> Leonard Zettel wrote:
>
> > Following The Complete FreeBSD p 480 I created the following
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > # Changed by Len Zettel 4/11/01
> > #----------removed-------------
> > # search
> > # nameserver 192.168.0.185
> > # ------------------------------
> > # ---------Added---------------
> > domain Oz.
> > nameserver 204.254.120.6   # Bignet primary nameserver
> > nameserver 204.254.120.7   # Bignet secondart nameserver

(snip)
> > Then I rebooted :-(
> >
> > /etc/resolv.conf now contained
> >
> > search