Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:34:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@freebie.dcfinc.com>
To:        benedict@echonyc.com (Snob Art Genre)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anti-spam sendmail in 2.2.5?

> On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> > We are also looking at several other solutions.  One is to integrate the
> > POP3 server and SMTP together in a firewall/NAT box.  That way the POP3
> > can do APOP authentication (encrypted, time stamped, etc.) and the SMTP
> > guy would refuse to serve a machine that hadn't been authenticated
> > within some short time window, say, 2 minutes.  To the Eudora user this
> > would just look like a rule that says "check your mail before sending."
> > This would make it harder for our users to send spam untraceably.
>
> I heard that the Well (well.com) just implemented this, though with a
> half-hour window.  It sounds good, but power users might balk, don't you
> think?

I don't think so.  In fact, the power users are the ones checking their
mail every 5 minutes anyway.

Another advantage is this allows our users on the road with their
laptops to send mail from any domain, MCI dial up or what have you
through our gateway without getting blown off as a spammer.  Just have
to check their mail first...

>  Ben

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com