Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:19:19 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging when one interface has no carrier

I don't recall that FreeBSD has ever had the "strong host model"
property and (as I just confirmed by test) it doesn't have it now.
If anything, it would make sense to reverse the test, and only
allow packets arriving on the "wrong" interface when the right interface
is down.  But I'd rather see it depend on net.inet.ip.forwarding,
or just keep using the loose model.

The test ifp->if_flags & IFF_UP would seem to be applied to the
interface the frame was received on, not the interface matching
the dest IP addr.  That makes sense, as it's likely to be garbage
if it came on an apparently down interface.

Out of idle curiosity, why do interfaces have to have IPs assigned
to do bridging?  That's not how "real" bridges/switches work. (I
should probably go search the archives, as this has surely been
answered before.)

--
Barney Wolff
I'm available by contract or FT:  http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf