Date:      Tue, 9 Mar 2010 11:58:10 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Many processes stuck in zfs

Am 09.03.2010 um 11:53 schrieb Peter Jeremy:

> On 2010-Mar-09 10:15:53 +0100, Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de> wrote:
>> Over the past couple of months, I've more or less regularly observed =
machines having more and more processes stuck in the zfs wchan.  The =
processes never recover from that,
>=20
> How long have you waited?

Many hours, sometimes up to 48 hours (when I didn't notice the stuck =
processes at first).

> There seems to be a problem with low free memory handling that causes =
ZFS
> to turn into cold molasses.  The work-around is to run a program that
> allocates a decent size chunk of memory and then exits.  The original
> suggestion was something like:
> 	perl -e '@x =3D (0) x 1000000;'
> I've written a short program that allocates and dirties ~100MB and =
then
> exits and run it from cron.

I'll try that the next time I encounter the stuck processes.

I'm recording ZFS ARC stats with munin, would I be able to identify such =
a low memory situation from there?  Would it make sense to monitor other =
stats?

Thanks,
Stefan

--=20