Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:03:21 +0800
From:      Craig Beasland <craig@hotmix.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPP and filters

Hi there,

I have a question regarding filters and userland ppp.  Currently, we have a
freebsd machine running userland ppp and aliasing for about 30 machines.

I would like to set up some filters to allow/deny access from each of these
machines.  Everyone needs eMail and DNS (for looking mailhost names), some
people need telnet and ftp and others get full access.

The filtering for userland ppp only allows for 19 rules, do I need to use
the built in ipfw functionality of bsd or do I not understand the filter of
userland ppp correctly.

If I switch to ipfw, does it check the IP address before aliasing and what
about incoming/returning data.

Thanks for any help
Craig
craig@hotmix.com.au