Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:27:59 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dave Strock <d1@csd.uwm.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Install Problem

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 19:47:15 EST, Dave Strock wrote:

> I have all the partitioning setup and I'm trying to install from the
> CD-ROM. The problem is that I get all the way through the install
> process, upto the point where it actually installs.  Then it says it
> cannot find the CD-ROM device, even if I boot from the CD.  The book
> said to email you for help. My CD-ROM is an ATAPI Sony CDU701. It is
> set as IDE Secondary Master, if that matters at all.

It certainly does matter if there is no master on the secondary channel.
While other operating systems do support this configuration, it violates
the ATAPI specification and is not supported by our driver.  You should
be okay once you've configured the drive as the master on that channel.

Ciao,
Sheldon.