Date:      19 Nov 96 12:09:20 EST
From:      Clayton Carney <72271.3671@CompuServe.COM>
To:        Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cannot mount root

Hi,

I been struggling for two weeks to get FreeBSD up and running on my system.  I
would appreciate some help, as the folks at Walnut Creek have told me they have
no idea what is wrong here.

I went thru the novice install, choosing defaults and automatic for all options.
When the system tries to boot, it fails and the last two lines displayed are:

changing root device to wd1a
panic: cannot mount root

First, let give some configuration background.  My system is setup as follows:

- Zeos Pentium 75MHz with 48MB RAM
- Seagate 815MB hard drive set as a master on IDE controller 1.
- Mitsumi FX-004 IDE CDROM drive set as a slave on IDE controller 1.
- Western Digital 1549MD hard drive set as single on IDE controller 2.
- Diamond Stealth 64 video card.
- Microsoft serial mouse.

The 815MB drive is dedicated to DOS and the 1549MB drive is dedicate to FreeBSD.
I have verified that the drive geometry is correct for the 1549MB drive.  The
partition editor gives the following numbers:

3148/16/63

 0      63      63   -   6 unused    0
63 3173121 3173183 wd2s1 3 freebsd 165 C>

The label editor gives the following:

wd2s1a /       32MB UFS Y
wd2s1b <none> 106MB SWAP
wd2s1e /var    30MB UFS Y
wd2s1f /usr  1380MB UFS y

As the system boots and probes, I gathered some information (alot of it scrolls
by too fast to catch).  The 'pertinent' designations are as follows:

wd0  - 815MB drive
wdc1 - unknown (says something about ATAPI)
wcd0 - CD drive
wd2  - 1549MB drive

I got FreeBSD to learn UNIX, so some of this whole process is not clear to me
yet.  It seems obvious that it should be booting to wd2a, but it attempts to
boot from wd1a, whatever that is.  In browsing thru the messages, I saw
references to using boot commands like wd(1,a).  That of course doesn't work.
When I try wd(2,a), it throws up an error I can't read and streams
line-after-line of something like 'cylinder 0 head 0 track 0'.

I can't seem to find anything online or in the documentation that is similar to
this.  As a side note, I tried a little experiment that may provide some
insight.  I disconnected the CD and put the 1549MB drive as a slave on IDE
controller 1.  This still generated some errors, but at least it didn't panic
and reboot.

Please help...

Thank you,

Clayton Carney