Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:06:38 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   ToDo

Folks,

I thought various people might like to see my current ToDo list for
the doc/ tree over the next 30 days or so.  Partly to get an idea of
what's coming up (or might be coming up, assuming it's not contentious)
and partly so that interested parties can stick their hands in the air
and say that they'd like to do it.  Most of the stuff is fairly routine,
but if anyone wants to get their hands dirty they're more than welcome
to take on one or more of these tasks.

* The FAQ

  The FAQ has now been converted to DocBook, but it's a stop-gap conversion
  only.  The conversion process 'cheats', and leaves a lot of

      <emphasis remap=tt>...</emphasis>

  lying around the place.  It also gets some things wrong, assuming that
  anything in ALL CAPS is an <acronym>, and that anything that contains an
  '@' sign is an e-mail address (amongst many others).

  What it needs is someone to go through it, line by line, and correct all
  the markup.  It is imperative that this is done without making any
  whitespace changes, so that it is as easy as possible for translators to
  follow.  If possible, you should try and use automated tools to do the
  changes, and document how you did them.  For example, if you can use a
  simple search and replace, or some Perl, or some Emacs Lisp to make
  a change, document how you did it, so that the translation teams can use
  the same approach.

  Related to this, the FAQ has stagnated over time -- some of the information
  in there is undoubtedly wrong, or out of date.  Since you're going to be
  looking at each line of the FAQ anyway, it would be helpful if you could
  keep notes of anything that looks like it needs to be updated, so that the
  FAQ maintainers can jump on it.

* The articles

  The articles in doc/en*/articles/* are all marked up as <book> rather
  than <article>, and they use the DocBook 3.0 DTD, rather than the FreeBSD
  3.1 based extension.  These should be converted to <article>, and use the
  FreeBSD DTD.  Along the way you probably want to take advantage of the
  &man.xxx.n; entities.

* The Device Driver Writer's Guide

  This is in doc/en*/tutorials/ddwg, and hasn't yet been converted to DocBook.
  I'm in two minds whether or not it should be.  This is because the
  information in the guide is very out of date, and Jeroen Ruigrok is working
  on a new one that's up to date.  I'm not sure that the effort of converting
  it to DocBook is worth the usefulness of the information in the guide.

  I'm more than welcome to be corrected on this, if people actually find
  the guide useful.

* The Pedantic PPP Primer

  This is in doc/en*/tutorials/ppp, and hasn't been converted to DocBook.
  This one probably should be converted to DocBook, but someone more
  familiar than I am with PPP should look it over and see how much of the
  information in it is still appropriate.  It may be that the PPP
  information in the Handbook is more correct, or it may be that we're
  better off updating the information in the Handbook from the Primer.

  Or, it might be a better decision to keep the primer as well.  I don't
  know.

  If we do decide to keep the primer it should probably be converted to
  a DocBook <book>, rather than an <article> (because of its size), and
  the natural place for it to live would be doc/en*/books/ppp-primer/.

* Problems with the Japanese PS and PDF output

  I am dismayed that Postscript and PDF output from the Japanese
  documentation is not generated properly.  I'm no TeXnician, so all I could
  do is act as a go-between the Japanese Documentation Project and anyone
  with the appropriate TeX experience.  If someone else wants to take this
  on, please step up to the plate.

There are other tasks as well (for example, bringing in the French
translations) but I plan on definitely handling those myself, because I've
been working with the appropriate people for some time.

Hope that's informative.  As I say, if anyone wants to nab one of these
tasks for themselves, please say so.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>