Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:49:55 -0400
From:      ScaryG <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        seth <qwestions2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X/GNOME/Port upgrade/Dist upgrade

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:30:40 -0700
seth <qwestions2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

|O|>So I still get some errors about incompatibilty.. so I wanted to upgrade
|O|>GNOME and sawfish.

 pkg_version -v

 will show you what ports and versions you have installed.

 pkg_version -c

 will produce output on how to upgrade individual ports.

 This all assumes that you are using CVSUP to keep your ports up to date.

 Configuring CVSUP is not that hard, you can stick an entry in your crontab so it runs automatically, say once a week. At that point, the pkg_version -v command becomes useful to see if newer versions are available, and then the pkg_version -c will give you the commands to do the upgrade.

 Be warned though that mucking with parts of GNOME can actually create havoc. Anytime I've tried to upgrade main components of GNOME it completely broke it beyond repair. After falling into that trap twice, deleting all ports and trying to rebuild, I gave up and installed KDE from packages and whatever versions I have is what I'm staying with.

|O|>1. How does this CSV work?  can someone explain or point me in the right
|O|>direction?

see http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd

 He has a great chapter on how to set up CVSUP.

|O|>2. If I upgrade a port tree -- what does this really mean?  Will it take
|O|>up more space on my HD?

 You're updating the files and patches that will download and compile each port. You aren't downloading each and every port, just the files to make them all.

 The chapter on Ports at the freebsd.org web site discusses how to use ports quite nicely.