Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:08:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

> Jordan, you really are the *man* -- here I was expecting to get my ass
> chewed off by half of -core, but no, I roll in to work and find out I've
> been crowned (condemned?) to be the PC-card guy.  Darn that timezone thing
> -- never had a chance to defend myself :-)

Always pick your battles with those who can't defend themselves.
I think it was Clauswitz who said that, or maybe Woody Allen. :)

> committed, and start my new job.  The most I'll be able to accomplish in
> the interim is getting folks organised, gathering documentation and
> figuring out exactly what we're hoping to get done.

I think that will be more than enough in the short term.

> I've come to believe that "if you want something doing, do it yourself" is
> a truism, so rather than be one of the whiners, here I am.  Plus, it looks
> good on my resume, you know :)

I like this guy. :)

> Wow, my own hat and commit privs too!  One thing I was wondering though,
> does this mean I should be running -current?  The laptop actually gets used
> for the (paid) work as well, so I'd like to it be somewhat stable most of
> the time.  I guess -current is where the dynamic device support will be
> happening though, huh?

-current would definitely be best, though you don't necessarily have
to run it on the laptop, just somewhere that you can build test
kernels for it.  Still, I run -current on my own production machine
(zippy) and it hasn't hurt me yet.  You just need to read the -current
mailing list and stay away from updating during those periods where at
least several people are yelling "Fire!"

> To everyone else who cc'd stuff to me -- sorry I don't have time this week
> to reply to everyone personally.  I'll make a general posting early next
> week once I've had a few days to think about exactly where I see things
> going, and we can take it from there.

Sounds great.

> Looking forward to working with y'all,

Likewise!