Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:44:20 +0000
From:      John Murphy <jfm@blueyonder.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   acd0 problem installing 5.0

Greetings
I can't seem to install FreeBSD 5.0 Release on some old but
functioning i386 hardware.  The problem occurs just after
creating the emergency holographic shell on vt4, and the error
message says: Error mounting /dev/acd0 on /dist: Operation
not supported by device (19).

I've installed FreeBSD 4.6 on the same hardware without problem.
I've mounted the 5.0 install CDRom from a 4.6 install on the
same hardware (with mount /cdrom) without problem.
I even tried using 'auto defaults for all' in the disklabel editor,
in case /dist was a new requirement.

The last messages on vt2 said:
/mnt/etc/services
20 blocks
DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file.

(I don't have the option to boot from CDRom with this hardware.)

Any ideas?

TIA
John.