Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 19:22:52 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Licia <licia@o-o.org>, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

At 09:24 AM 10/29/98 +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
>On Wednesday, 28 October 1998 at 11:19:33 -0600, Licia wrote:

>>> This is vote number two for something similar to "Powered by".
>>
>> I've placed some possible examples of logos at the following urls :
>>
>> http://www.o-o.org/fbsd-compat1.jpg
>> http://www.o-o.org/fbsd-compat2.gif
>> http://www.o-o.org/fbsd-compat3.gif
>
>I'd go for number 3.  "Certified" doesn't sound so hot to me.
>

>BTW, it would make comparison easier if you'd
>pack them in an .html page so they could all appear on the screen
>together.
>
>> They are not very high quality, and would need permission from
>> at least two copyright holders,
>
>Who's the second?  I'm assuming that you don't include FreeBSD in the
>list, since this is a FreeBSD effort.  AFAIK the only person who needs
>to give permission is Kirk McKusick.  I don't expect you'd have
>problems there.
>
>> but show what I seem to understand from this discussion.  Please
>> feel free to correct me :)
>
>I still think we need at least two distinct stickers: "Works with
>FreeBSD" and "designed for FreeBSD" are a good start.  Somehow we need
>to encourage people to put our sticker on anything that works with
>FreeBSD, and yet leave that little extra which might make them decide
>to port their product directly.
>
>Greg
>--
>See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
>finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

I dunno, I was expecting something perhaps square.  That would be a pretty
large label (even compressed down some) to put on a box or something like
that..  The SCO OK, the Win95, The Netware, all of those have some sort of
a uniform size..

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998