Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 18:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ideas and Stuff (Promoting)

Well, we've all talked about all sort of differnt ideas of making FreeBSD
easier to use for the average user.  Well, how about making FreeBSD more
visible?  I mean, actual promotions and stuff.

We've all seen the Linux books (and boy there are tons of them), Linux
magazine, and all the mentions of Linux in various articles and stuff like
that.  I've seen more and more FreeBSD mention in the press...that's
good!!  But, let's have more. :)

I've been brainstorming on some new (some old) ideas on inexpensive
FreeBSD promotion.  Here is a few of them.

T-Shirts: Get someone to come up with a FreeBSD logo to fit on the back of
a t-shirt (something with the Beastie on it) then post that image on
FreeBSD org for download.  Users with their own t-shirt making kits can
use their inkjets for making transfers in order to create their own
t-shirts.  Now how much more inexpensive can ya get?  Only thing required
would be a t-shirt and the printer t-shirt kit.

Flyers:  Some with the skill can make a kewl looking flyer with good
information about FreeBSD printed on it and the neat FreeBSD logo with
Beastie.  This document can be posted for download.  Those that care
enough about FreeBSD can make copies (5-finger discount school supplies
always work *grin*) and then can be passed out to school instructors, at
Computer Conventions, etc.

Clubs:  More FreeBSD user groups should be created...but that's up to the
users.  I'd like to join one if there was one around.  I don't know enough
about Unix and FreeBSD to actually create my own. It would be like the
blind leading the blind. hehehe

Shows:  Here in Los Angeles we have lot's of Computer Shows.  Walnut Creek
cdrom should jump in and have their own booth selling their own stuff,
especially FreeBSD.  Possibly have a machine there running FreeBSD and
showing off all the goods.  The bad thing about this is that it will cost
money (not much I think)....but if Walnut Creek sells cd's and
books.....then they make their money back and then some.  Seems like a
win-win situation.

Audience:  Basically we have to keep in mind who we are trying to reach.
I figure we have to reach those that would benefit from using FreeBSD.  I
think our target audience is:

Acadamia
Businesses
Power Users
Programmers
Scientists
IS Professionals
etc

Let's find them...then make sure that FreeBSD exists and that they
couldn't live without it.  :)

Anyways...those are some of my ideas.  What cha guys think?

Joey Garcia