Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:12:52 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Tracking Source for Multiple Machines

In my home network, I have two machines.  One is a 486 and the other a
Pentium 3.  Because it takes the 486 well over a day to buildworld, I
decided to attempt to use the P3 to do the builds as described in the
handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.h
tml).

I'm a little confused with how to set up /etc/make.conf.  Currently, I
have CPUTYPE=p3 and =i486 set in the respective machines.  I suspect I
have to remove this so files will run on both?  What do I lose by not
optimizing for the CPU type?

Also, on the P3 I have COMPAT3X=yes as I need the libraries for
FrontPage 2000 extensions.  However I don't need these installed on
the 486.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

And finally, I don't install Sendmail on the P3 as I use Postfix but
on the 486 I do.  I guess I could use Postfix on the 486 but haven't
taken the time to build it as I only use it to forward the periodic
emails when run by cron.  Sendmail works "out of the box" so I never
changed it.  Any suggestions?

Once I have make.conf and the appropriate KERNCONF files configured
properly, I understand I run the make builds on the P3.  Then to run
the make installs, I mount the P3 /usr/src and /usr/obj dirs on the
486.  I guess to do this I would delete the current contents of the
486 /usr/obj and /usr/src and then use the empty directories as mount
points?  Is this the best way?

Thanks for your help clearing my confusion.

Drew