Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Anshuman Kanwar <akanwar@engineering.ucsb.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RST limit and ICMP_BANDLIM

Hi all,

I understand that RST packets are returned for TCP packets that are
reseived for closed ports. And a log messsge of the form:

Limiting closed port RST response from 233 to 200 packets per second

is generated.

My questions about this are:

 1) What happens if the packets are dropped without returning a RST.
Will this be against RFC specs.

 2) Is there a kernel option to enable the above behavior. I could not
find anything in LINT.

 3) What is ICMP_BANDLIM ? and is it in any way related to these RSt

    I am confused. Are we talking TCP or ICMP?

I searched the archives but they generally do not talk beyond saying that
these messages are generated by NMAP scans. I need more details.

Thanks for any replies,
-ansh