Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2008 03:46:11 -0700
From:      "Peter Wemm" <peter@wemm.org>
To:        "Jo Rhett" <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tracking -stable in the enterprise

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2008, at 7:51 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, Yahoo! tracks -stable branches, not point releases.
>

> I'm curious about this (and stealing the dead thread).
>
> How does one track -stable in an enterprise environment?  I assume that what
> you mean is "we pick points in -stable that we believe are stable enough and
> create a snapshot from this point that we test and roll out to production"
> ...?  Am I wrong?

Correct.  We roll our own build snapshots periodically, but we also
keep a pretty careful eye on what's going on in the -stable branches.
When I say "we", I mostly mean John does it. :)  Quite often the
biggest factor that tells us when to roll a new internal release is
when there's something that has gone into -stable that we want.

We have many local modifications, so freebsd.org's concept of a
"release" is pretty much meaningless to us.

However, we do quietly help in freebsd.org's release process.  We make
a point of trying to run some recent snapshots in production in the
leadup to a freebsd.org release.   This helps shake out silly problems
that might not get noticed in time.

> I mean, I guess Yahoo has enough resources to literally run every commit to
> -stable through a full test cycle and push it out to every machine, but my
> mind boggles to imagine the manpower cost of doing so.  (and to justify the
> manpower cost versus the gain from doing so...)

No.  Why on earth would we do that?  if we wanted to cause ourselves
that much pain for no good reason, we'd go get a pencil and stab
ourselves in the eye.

We don't upgrade machines that have been deployed unless there is a
good reason to.
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell