Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:41:02 -0500
From:      Jon Dugan <jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommendations for a sound card

Hello,

  I am looking for a high quality sound card that will work with the pcm
  driver.  I will be using it for conferencing as well as mp3 playback.  I
  looked the the GeoCrawler archives of -multimedia, but the most recent
  recommendations were about a year old.

  I'd like high quality (low noise, etc) and I need full-duplex for
  conferencing.  I will be using vat/rat and vic.  We (NCSA) are doing a lot
  with conferencing via multicast.  Most is done either from SGIs or Linux
  boxes (and some *shudder* NT), but I'd love to be able to be able to say the
  FreeBSD does it better.  Our group (the networking group) is all FreeBSD, so
  from our side it will be FreeBSD.

  One thing was clear -- don't buy a SoundBlaster.

  It looks like full-duplex is well supported on WSS/MSS cards, but these
  cards tend (in my experience) to be low quality cards.

  Can anyone recommend specific cards (ie, Manufacturer/Model pairs) that are
  high quality and will support full-duplex well?

  The manpage and /sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS tells me that the Crystal and OPL-SAx
  based cards are good choices, but I've had a hard time finding enough info
  to glean whether or not they have a supported chipset.

  I'd appreciate any help you can offer!

  Thanks,

Jon
--
Jon Dugan             |  Network Engineer, NCSA Network Development
jdugan@ncsa.uiuc.edu  |  57C CAB, 605 E Springfield, Champaign, IL 61820