Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:27:51 +0200
From:      Igor Pokrovsky <igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support of SMBus on ICH3

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:13:23PM +0200, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:20:47AM +0200, Igor Pokrovsky wrote:
> > I have problems with enabling support for SMBus on STABLE.
> > My motherboard is ICH3 (82801CA).
> >
> > As suggested in LINT I added 3 lines to my kernel config:
> >
> > device		smbus
> > device		ichsmb
> > device		smb
> >
> > But after compiling, installing and rebooting /dev/smb[01] are
> > not available and no changes in kernel startup messages either.
> > So I assume something hasn't been detected. I will provide any
> > additional info if needed.
> >
> > Any suggestion or thoughts?
>
> Well FWIW I'm seeing the same on -CURRENT as of yesterday, on a laptop.
I looked through CVS commit logs, and I found that the only difference
between STABLE and CURRENT version of ichsmb is additional support for ICH4.
Yes, so no matter running STABLE or CURRENT in our case. But still that doesn't
help.

> The strange thing is that Intel's ICH3-M documentation says that it supports
> SMBus, but the device/function number (which should be D31:F3 according to my
> spec) isn't even listed in my pciconf -l output :(
>
> Furthermore I don't get any expected value when using pciconf -r:
>
> [stijn@pounce] <~> sudo pciconf -r -h pci0:31:3 00
> ffff
> [stijn@pounce] <~> sudo pciconf -r -h pci0:31:3 02
> ffff
>
> which should have been 8086 / 2483.
I've got exactly the same result on my laptop :(

> Admittedly know about this >< much about PCI configuration, but somehow I
> suspect that the SMBus feature is optional on ICH3 motherboards, or it needs
> to be turned on explicitly somehow during the boot. Anyone got any more clue?
I've searched BIOS on my laptop and found nothing about SMB at all.
Have you tried to look into BIOS of your laptop?

> > # dmesg:
> > atapci0: <Intel ICH3 ATA100 controller> port 0x8400-0x840f,0x8800-0x8803,0x9000-0x9007,0x9400-0x9403,0x9800-0x9807 mem 0xd5800000-0xd58003ff irq 9 at device 31.1 on pci0
> > ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> > ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
>
> I would expect the SMBus controller to show up here (... at device 31.3
> on pci0) but like my dmesg it doesn't.
>
> > pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x8086, dev=0x2486) at 31.6 irq 11
>
> This is actually the ICH3 AC '97 modem interface, which gets detected
> as 'none0@pci0:31:6' on my laptop.
Hmm, interesting... I have a win modem built in laptop, so I cannot use it
FreeBSD. Do you think it's possible to do anything about it?

> Like Igor, more info available on request.
Maybe send a copy to maintainer of ichsmb - archie@ ?

-ip

--
FORTUNE'S PARTY TIPS		#14

Tired of finding that other people are helping themselves to your good
liquor at BYOB parties?  Take along a candle, which you insert and
light after you've opened the bottle.  No one ever expects anything
drinkable to be in a bottle which has a candle stuck in its neck.