Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:40:10 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        wade <wade@wavefire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic on 4.7-STABLE to 5.0 RC2 upgrade.

wade wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I sent this to -current a few days ago and got no response so I thought I
> would try here.
>
>   I recently attempted to upgrade on of my servers from 4.7 STABLE to 5.0
> RC2 using the "Upgrade" facility of sysinstall.  After choosing  all the
> options I needed, the upgrade proceeded through its fsck and started
> unpacking off the CD.
> This is where things go sour.  About 20% of the way through the first round
> of "Extracting .... into /", I got a page fault/kernel panic and a reboot.
> Unfortunately, no other useful information was presented.  This problem is
> limited to 5.0 as I am able to recover a usable machine by installing 4.7
> Release using the same method.

You need to make your own CD.  This CD should have a full
non-symbol-stripped kernel, built with "options DDB" and
"options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER".

From this, you will be able to tell us where it's failing.

Because RC2 was not tagged, because We Fear CVS Tags(tm), you
will need to use a date in order to create your own RC2.

It is suggested that you build a standard version (useless for
this type of debugging) first, to verify that you can repeat
the error, so that you will be able to tell the difference
between an error that went away because your source does not
precisely match that of RC2, and an error that went away
because there's a memory map issue that was effected by a
larger memory disk image and/or a larger kernel image and/or
the symbols being included, etc..

-- Terry