Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2014 16:10:08 +0000
From:      Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@karthauser.co.uk>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating a bootable ZFS disk?

Ahha, the 4k alignment is plausible! I thought that that was automatic =
these days. I'll give it a go.

Do I also need to have a zfs pool cache on the root disk?

Joe

On 27 Dec 2014 at 3:27:47 pm GMT, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> =
wrote:
   =20
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2014, Dr Josef Karthauser wrote:
>=20
> > I?m trying to create a new ZFS pool from an existing one (the new =
one is 4k aligned and the old one is legacy 512b).

> > But, I can?t get it to boot! Not sure what I?m doing wrong.
> >
> > I thought I could create the new pool, and use ?zfs send/recv? to =
copy the existing pool and then boot onto the new disk, but the kernel =
doesn?t load? :(.

> > Does anyone know what I?m doing wrong?
> >
> > Here?s my recipe:
> >
> > 	# gpart create -s gpt diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
> > 	# gpart add -s 64K -t freebsd-boot diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
> > 	# gpart add -t 8G freebsd-swap diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
> > 	# gpart add -t freebsd-zfs diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
> > 	# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 =
diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
>=20
> Those partitions are probably not aligned to 4K.  Add "-a4k" to the =
gpart add commands.  (Remember that ashift is filesystem block size, not =
alignment.)