Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 01:22:41 -0400
From:      "Thimble Smith" <tim@mysql.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP, FreeBSD + Linuxthreads

Hi, all of you extremely helpful and cheery people.

Sometimes on the MySQL mailing list we get questions like the
following:

----- Begin Forwarded message -----
I'd like to use SMP system for our Mysql database, but from what
I found, FreeBSD native threads just can't make use of multiple
processors (maybe it's time to mention this in FreeBSD specific
section in the MySQL manual).

<snip>
----- End forwarded message -----

I'm wondering what the best response is for this (assume they
are using FreeBSD 4-STABLE).

    o No, our native threads are just fine for applications
      like the MySQL server.

    o Use the LinuxThreads port, which makes better use of SMP
      machines.

    o ... something else.

Also, is this idea because syscalls are serialized per process
(so I/O is serialized)?  Or is there another way to account for
this idea?

Are there plans (in the works, down the road) to change whatever
the problem is (assuming there really is a problem) that I can
mention?  Are there papers I should read that describe the
current (and future) architecture?

For example, I see this possibly unrelated note in the vfork(2)
man page:

    BUGS
         This system call will be eliminated when proper system
         sharing mechanisms are implemented.  Users should not
         depend on the memory sharing semantics of vfork(2) as it
         will, in that case, be made synonymous to fork(2).

Thanks,

Tim  (your FreeBSD advocate in MySQL-land)