Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 1996 09:20:26 +0200
From:      Werner Kuehnert <kue@zerberus.hai.siemens.co.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation Problems with FreeBSD 2.1

Hi !

Last weekend I tried to install FreeBSD 2.1 on my computer and had only little
success. I have the distribution on CD and everything works fine (booting,
partitioning, labeling, choice of packages and so on) up to the point of first
reboot, which didn't work because there was no bootable partition left :-(
My configuration is :
Intel Plato MB with 100Mhz Pentium, 32Mb RAM, NCR 810 SCSI-Controller and the
following devices :
    ID0:   Toshiba MK438FB 857MB HD
    ID1:   CDC 94191-15 630MB HD (Wren 6)
    ID2:   Wangtek 5150ES Tape drive
    ID3:   Toshiba CD-ROM
    ID5:   Quantum Lightning 700MB HD
    ID6:   Iomega ZIP-Drive

The partitions are as follows :
Drive ID0 :
    #1:    Primary DOS 127MB
    #2:    Extended DOS 64MB 1 log. drive
    #3:    Non-DOS (0xA5) 665MB
Drive ID1 :
    #1:    Non-DOS (0xA5) 630MB
Drive ID5 :
    #1:    Extended-DOS 349MB 2 log. drives
    #2:    Non-DOS (0xA5) 350MB

I tried to install the system onto partition #3 / drive ID0. When I boor from
a DOS-disk the second (extended partition) is gone. I tried to install the
boot selector program supplied with freebsd.
So what's going on here ? Why am I unable to boot from the HD after installing
freebsd ? Why is thye second partition gone after the installation ? How can I
fix this problem _without_ repartitioning my HD's ?
Any hints are highly appreciated.
TIA

--
	Regards
		Werner

I do NOT speak for SIEMENS.

Werner Kuehnert Siemens AG Oesterreich PSE EZE KBA 1
E-Mail: kue@zerberus.hai.siemens.co.at
Private E-Mail: kuehnert@ping.at

A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at work.
                  Make a nice day :-)