Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:51:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel i815 w/ ICH using ata driver

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Linh Pham wrote:

>I'm running FreeBSD 4.-STABLE on a Compaq iPaq P3-500, which is based on
>the i810 chipset. The only problem that may still be an issue is getting
>XFree86 4.0 to work with the integrated video chipset in the i810. Mind
>you, this may have changed since the last time I asked some people on the
>list.
>
>Also remember that there is also an i815e, which has the newer ICH-2 with
>ATA/100, integrated Intel networking (?) for the CNR slot, and some other
>newer features.

Yes, thank you for bringing that up.  There is only about a $20 price
difference between boards using i815 and i815e w/ ICH and ICH2
respectively.  The video is not a concern for me, I'm really just
looking for a good replacement board for cheap PC servers since the BX
boards are getting harder to find.  The i815 boards look good because
they have, for the most part, plenty of PCI slots and appear far more
stable than the i820.  I was going to choose the i815 over the i815e
simply because the ICH is already supported and I can't antipicate how
far off ICH2 support is under Soren's ata driver, nor is it that
important to me.  The only new feature the ICH2 appears to have is
ATA100 and I have yet to see a pair of drives on one ide channel which
can approach the capacity of ATA66, let alone ATA100.  Other than that
it's all the same, you can even get standard i815 boards with CNR on
them.  BTW, is anybody using CNR and reading this list?  Does it behave
like a normal PCI device and does the stock fxp driver support the
drop-in Intel NICs?

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying