Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 1994 09:47:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      william pechter ILEX <pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com (FreeBSD-hackers)
Subject:   Linux with 4.2 filesystem

Found on the Linux newsgroups:

> From: aifirst@alliant.kaist.ac.kr ()
> Subject: How can I mount BSD filesystem on Linux?
> Sender: aifirst@alliant.snu.ac.kr
> Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 12:24:13 GMT
>
> Is there any way to mount BSD or BSDi partition on Linux?

Answer:

 aifirst@alliant.kaist.ac.kr wrote:

> Is there any way to mount BSD or BSDi partition on Linux?

> Nate Williams <nate@bsd.coe.montana.edu> writes:

> Yes, port the BSD FFS code to Linux.  Other than that, you could use
> NFS to export them from the BSD machine and mount them on the Linux
> box, but that assumes that there are 2 different machines running at
> the same time.

Answer 2:

>>>There is read-only support for the 4.2BSD ufs filesystem.  Patches are
at sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/ALPHA/ufs.

>Dan

Looks like there's a possibility of crossmounting BSD filesystems
on a Linux box WITHOUT NFS.  Perhaps one day we'll have some ext2fs
support in BSD based OSs so we could do the same thing.

This would make crossdevelopment easier.

The story I heard is ext2fs has been adopted as the filesystem for GNU's
operating system (when it gets loose).

Any comments or info?

(Keep the my filesystem is better than your filesystem to a minimum
please 8->)

Both ext2fs and the BSD FFS have been very reliable in my estimation.

Both are a hell of a lot better than v7's fs through SVR3.x.

Bill
 Bill Pechter |Systems Administrator  |
 Ilex Systems |170 Patterson Ave      | Shrewsbury, New Jersey 07702
 908-532-2943 |pechter@sesd.ilex.com  | pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil