Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:56:35 -0800
From:      Jeff Behl <jeff@expertcity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS woes:  "got bad cookie vp"

FreeBSD hormel.snv 4.5-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Mar  8
15:11:46 PST 2002     root@hormel.snv:/usr/src/sys/compile/hormel  i386

This machine is used as the relay to send out to our user mailing lists,
one of which is 300k+ long.  I have exim setup to use our netapp (via
nfs mount) as the spool directory simply because I figured it would be a
lot faster than using the local disk when the bulk-mailer starts sending
300k+ emails to it as fast as it can (the idea is to accept the mail as
quickly as possible to free up the sending machine).  Things work great
(it accepted around 80k+ emails in an hour) for the first hour, but
after that performance steadily declines as more queue runner processes
start sending the mail out.  It looks like nfs problem were the cause of
the decline as actual cpu usage wasn't that high.
The problem doesn't seem to be in writing out the temporary files to the
netapp, but rather having multiple queue runner processes going through
and accessing/deleting individual files (emails) for delivery.
 Eventually, things slow to a crawl with the following being constantly
displayed:

Mar 21 11:52:29 hormel /kernel: got bad cookie vp 0xd7e27140 bp 0xcc600270
Mar 21 11:52:34 hormel /kernel: got bad cookie vp 0xd7e27140 bp 0xcc51f780
Mar 21 11:52:34 hormel /kernel: got bad cookie vp 0xd7e27140 bp 0xcc51f780
Mar 21 11:52:52 hormel /kernel: got bad cookie vp 0xd7e48900 bp 0xcc540b38
Mar 21 11:52:52 hormel /kernel: got bad cookie vp 0xd7e48900 bp 0xcc540b38

Is there anything I can do?  thanks.
jeff