Date:      Fri, 03 Nov 2000 13:58:35 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

In message <xzpofzxjek6.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no> Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
: > Wouldn't that tend to generally reduce day-to-day performance as well?
: > I suspect that Kirk and co. at CSRG had a good reason for choosing the
: > defaults they did.
:
: Certainly, but I believe these defaults were chosen nearly ten years
: ago (if not more) on hardware which we today charitably describe as
: "antiquated" :)

IIRC, and I've not checked the historical Unix cdrom that a buddy has
to be sure, these defaults haven't changed since the 4.2BSD release,
which was 1983.  I'm almost positive they were in place for the 4.3BSD
release in 1986 which our university cs department upgraded to in
early 1987.  ufs's 8k block size is very deeply rooted in history.  I
know that SunOS 4.0 had it and I'm almost certain that it had 3.5 had
it as default as well (but I only did a couple 3.2 and 3.5 installs
before upgrading to 4.0.1).  SunOS 3.x and 4.x came from BSD 4.2 plus
a bunch of hacking.

So we're pushing closer to 20 years ago rather than 10 years ago.  BSD
4.0 was released in October 1980, per bsd-family-tree.  I think that
these defaults were there as well, but again, I've not looked at the
cd to make sure.

Warner