Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:55:10 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Unable to build world

I hadn't updated my world for quite a while, so I ran cvsup to make sure I
had the latest modifications to the code and then tried to run "make
buildworld". Failed. Tried again, failed. Went to the file where the build
failed, didn't see any problem. Deleted the whole /usr/src directory and
ran cvsup to retrieve the whole body of code again. Still failed. I get:

>===> games/robots
>cc -O -pipe -march=pentium  -DMAX_PER_UID=5    -c
>/usr/home/src/games/robots/extern.c
>cc -O -pipe -march=pentium  -DMAX_PER_UID=5    -c
>/usr/home/src/games/robots/init_field.c
>cc -O -pipe -march=pentium  -DMAX_PER_UID=5    -c
>/usr/home/src/games/robots/main.c
>In file included from /usr/home/src/games/robots/robots.h:36,
>                  from /usr/home/src/games/robots/main.c:48:
>/usr/obj/usr/home/src/i386/usr/include/curses.h:1281: undefined or invalid
># directive
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/home/src/games/robots.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/home/src/games.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/home/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/home/src.
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/home/src.

Incidentally, for space reasons I had to put the source tree in the "home"
directory (a separate slice on my hard drive) with a syslink as /usr/src,
but I've built world many times (at least several times) since I did that
and never had a problem before.

uname -v gives me: FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE #0: Tue May  6 18:29:38 ICT 2003, my
last cvsup completed successfully last night at about 2230 hours local time.

Is it possible I need to upgrade "make" or something like that? I recall
that was a problem once before. But what's with this weird path
/usr/obj/usr/home/src/i386/usr/include/curses.h?? vi opens the file, and
line 1281 is "#define BUTTON_SHIFT            000200000000L", which doesn't
look like an "undefined or invalid # directive" to me.

--
Roger