Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:06:35 -0500
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        "Shawn O'Bryhim" <antiquitas@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mac/pc

--============_-1206876089==_ma============

At 12:33 PM +0000 11/8/01, Shawn O'Bryhim wrote:
>I am interested in sing freebsd but have a few questions.  I have a PC with
>Windos 98 on it and a Toshiba laptop with windows 95.  My husband has a MAC.
>We have a DSL connection for the internet and would like to be able to use
>the connection on both his MAC and my PC at the same time.  If I were to put
>freebsd on my laptop and use that for my internet purposes only, would we be
>able to create a network between my laptop, his MAC and my PC with freebsd?
>I hope this is not too confusing.
>
>Also, I am still not clear about how freebsd works.  If I put that on my
>laptop that has win95, will i still see or use win95, or will it be totally
>gone? ( i won't cry if that's the case).

If it were me I would set up a freebsd box to act as the server.
You can run Samba on it to allow your PC's to connect to it. Install
Netatalk to allow your macs to connect to the FreeBSD box.

You can't easily have the pc and mac talk to each other
directly but you can use the FreeBSD box as a server
to mount your "home" directory (and others) on the win or mac boxes.
Think of the BSD box as the way station to drop off and pick up files
between the two systems. The fbsd box shows up in the appleshare
volumes under the chooser while the fbsd box shows up under network under
windows

you could also have your freebsd box as as a firewall and router
between your local network and the dsl. with a second nic card in the
fbsd box you feed
the dsl line into one nic and the second nic plugs into a hub or
switch. all the
other computers then plug into the hub or switch.

for an easy to setup firewall/routing/natd solution you may want to take a look
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/thewall/ -- this is a picobsd floppy-based
firewall. What's really cool is that it runs off a computer that only
needs a floppy
drive, 2 nic cards and RAM. No hard drive or cd-rom needed. It makes for a
very reliable unit. I run in on my cable modem service and it works great.

"Single floppy or compact flash based firewall for home DSL / cable
modem users based on PicoBSD. Platforms includes embedded PCs with or
without video and keyboard support such as the Soekris Net4501 as
well as old PCs."

Jim Arnold  <jarnold@knightridder.com>	Voice: 330.253.9524 x 9-12
Ohio.com Site Administrator		Fax: 330.253.8214
http://www.ohio.com              		Cell: 330.730.0797
AOL IM: instantjim

12 E. Exchange Street - 2nd Fl -- Akron, OH 44308

--============_-1206876089==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
a few questions.&nbsp; I have a PC with<br>
Windos 98 on it and a Toshiba laptop with windows 95.&nbsp; My husband
has a MAC.<br>
We have a DSL connection for the internet and would like to be able to
use<br>
the connection on both his MAC and my PC at the same time.&nbsp; If I
were to put<br>
freebsd on my laptop and use that for my internet purposes only, would
we be<br>
able to create a network between my laptop, his MAC and my PC with
freebsd?<br>
I hope this is not too confusing.<br>
Also, I am still not clear about how freebsd works.&nbsp; If I put
that on my<br>
laptop that has win95, will i still see or use win95, or will it be
totally</blockquote>
case).</blockquote>
server.</div>
Install</div>
or mac boxes.</div>
files</div>
appleshare</div>
network under</div>
router</div>
the fbsd box you feed</div>
switch. all the</div>
to take a look</div>
floppy-based</div>
only needs a floppy</div>
makes for a</div>
works great.</div>
floppy or compact flash based firewall for home DSL / cable modem
users based on PicoBSD. Platforms includes embedded PCs with or
without video and keyboard support such as the Soekris Net4501 as well
as old PCs.&quot;</font></div>