Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:01:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1008693253.aee47f@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Installation - Disk Space

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
>
> > My recommendation for new users is to create at most two file systems
> > as well as swap: / and /home. Keep your private stuff on /home. That
> > way, when you get a new release, you can do a "clean" install onto /
> > without losing your data on /home. If you don't much space - where
> > "much" depends on what you're planning on doing - having just one file
> > system - / - is better.
>
> [SNIP]
> As for the idea that the only purposes of separate divisions of a
> slice into partitions (swap always being its own partition, of course,
> within the slice) other than / being administrative, the
> administrative differences may be very important.  You can back up a
> file system, e.g., ad0s1f; that's the "unit" dump uses (I think I've
> got this right).

	Also, many commands have options to "not traverse mount
	points" which becomes almost priceless once you actually have to
	do something with your machine.  Disk space usage is also
	easier to view (with df) and scale with multiple filesystems. I
	guess all of these issues would be categorized as
	"administrative"...but then with UNIX, in general, what isn't
	administrative?

	It's better and easier to have the functionality up front then it
	is to add it later :-) Whether you use it or not.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"