Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:03:34 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to find a library

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

Hi Jonathon,

> I'm coming over from Win32 development, and I have a question about findi=
ng
> a library to find what you need.
>=20
> Currently, if I need a function, it can be found somewhere in MFC.  Howev=
er,
> since I want to start porting some of our software to Unix, I need to know
> how to find/use similar functions that are not part of Unix base
> functionality.
>=20
> What is the best way to find these libraries?

I think you have to give a few more details.

I which languages do you intend to program? -> Most probably C or C++. As y=
ou
have remarked, FreeBSD offers (mostly) ISO/ANSI compatible C and C++ librar=
ies.
It also implements (most of) the POSIX standard.

Since you are from a MFC background, I can imagine, that you are looking fo=
r a
GUI toolkit, or maybe a database.

> Once found, is it only a matter of including the .h file and linking?

Yes, there are lots of libraries in the ports collection. When you install =
them,
everything is in the right place, and they wait unpatiently for you to link
against them :-)

Most of the ports also install documentation (quite important for programmi=
ng),
either as man pages, or in $(PREFIX)/share/doc/<name of the ports>.

Okay, but what's the best way to find the library? Either search the ports
collection for a key word (cd /usr/ports; make search key=3Dbla), search wi=
th your
favorite search engine, ...
Of course, you can also ask here, which kind of library would fit your needs
best.

Cheers,
 Simon

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH