Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:35:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "J. S." <johann@broadpark.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes in the FreeBSD date-format

On Saturday,  5 January 2002 at 17:04:16 +0100, J. S. wrote:
> Is there any particular reason as to why the date-format in FreeBSD
> appears slightly altered from time to time?
>
> Some times it's <Sat Jan  5 17:01:30 CET 2002> and some times, if I recall
> correctly, it's <Sat Jan 5 17:01:30 CET 2002>.

Well, it would be interesting to know where you saw each of these (at
*exactly* the same time :-)

> I'm a perfectionist, and that extra and unnecessary space is
> freaking me out.

This format is formatted by strftime(3), which has a fixed format.  In
particular, the day is represented by the %e format character:

     %e    is replaced by the day of month as a decimal number (1-31); single
           digits are preceded by a blank.

It would be possible, I suppose, to create a new format character
which does not include the blank, but it would still be difficult to
use it for date(1), since some programs rely on the format.

So how did you get the format without the additional blank?  I don't
know, but I'm guessing it was passed as a set of parameters to
something and then printed out without any additional blanks.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.