Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2017 09:28:23 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Centos on FreeBSD

On 13 November 2017 13:46:24 GMT+00:00, "Igor V. Ruzanov" <igorr@pochta-mx.canmos.ru> wrote:
>Or it could even be QEMU with accelerator module kqemu.ko
>
>|you may run CentOS (or any other Linux system) on FreeBSD with bhyve (
>|http://bhyve.org/) and also do the management with vm-bhyve (
>|https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve) which also has templates for
>CentOS (
>|https://github.com/churchers/vm-bhyve/blob/master/sample-templates/centos7.conf)
>|or any other management wrapper.

I have tried really hard to like bhyve. I think the biggest problem and I have is with the documentation. As the BSD native hypervisor, this is a really bad thing! If I understood it, I would write some myself.

What I need is an explanation of HOW to use it; examples. The only one around tells you how to run FreeBSD as a guest on FreeBSD. This is not useful.

Documentation then goes on to say you can run "most" Linux distributions, and starts talking about firmware that's not specified anywhere. What is "firmware" supposed to mean? I assume they mean some kind of BIOS ROM image (only Firmware when blown in to ROM, but I guess they don't mean that).

Then what are you supposed to do about graphics mode? Do you need to install X? Xen  is easy. Just set up an QEMU emulated VGA card and an IP address for the VNC server.

Installing CentOS switches to graphics mode half way through. How does that work with Bhyve?

Virtual box is, apparently, deprecated. Its really easy once you have X installed. With Xen, Virtual box, ESXi you can have anything including Windows installed from a CD. No one can say, step by step, how to do this on bhyve. Or can they and I just can't find it?

Thanks, Frank.