Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 2010 10:05:27 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named, VARMFS=yes  and FILESDIR

--------------enig278288ABDE7626162557FE28

Doug Barton schrieb am 30.11.2009 04:54 (localtime):
> Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
=2E..
>> while building an embedded slave DNS I recognized that running named o=
ut
>> of the box with VARMFS enabled would fail.
>> Now I could easily fix it for my device only, but I think it's better =
>> solve it upstream.
>> VARMFS=3DYes is a standard option, likewise named_enable.
>=20
> There are lots of standard options that are not compatible with each
> other.

Sorry for this long silence. Unfortunately I have only some hours/month=20
spare time to work on this.
There are kind of "to be expected" incompatible options, of course, but=20
this one hit me some years before. Especcially for newbies, it's not=20
clear why these options shouldn't work together.

>> My idea is to create a namedb directory in /usr/share (like there's on=
>> for sendmail) with duplicate entries of src/etc/namedb
>=20
> Why not just set named_chrootdir to /usr/share/namedb ?  It's not 100%
> clear to me what you're trying to accomplish. Can you please go into a
> little more detail about your goals, rather than potential solutions?

I think rc.d/var should be able to populate a named compliant /var.=20
Therefore it needs at least named.conf and named.root.
My idea was to save them in /usr/share, where many other (sendmail e.g.) =

template duplicates also reside. When chrooting to /usr/share/namedb, it =

also fails if I don't have the original installed /var, like if /var is=20
a freshly populated memory file system.

>> P.S.: named_conf definitions in rc.conf get lost.=20
>=20
> Yes, that's something that needs improvement. I have it on the list
> but since it's not common for people to alter the path to the conf
> file, and since in the past in order to do so you've had to add -c to
> named_flags anyway, I don't regard it as urgent.

Is there anything wrong with my patch?

Thanks,

-Harry