Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 00:07:59 +1100
From:      Danny <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@shellyeah.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good text based word processor, database question, and freebsd-uk

In regards to your RDBMS question about MySQL :

therr are many RDBMS that can be used with FreeBSD this inlcludes:

- MySQL
-MSQL (mini SQL)
- Postgresql

You can install either one of these by:

 - Launch a web browser and type in www.freebsd.org/ports/
 - Now click on the "entire ports hierarchy" hyperlink
 - This file you downloaded is called ports.tar.gz
 - now extract the file with the following command as root

zcat ports.tar.gz | tar xvf - -C /usr/

 - To install the ports you have to have a dial up connection, cable
modem, dsl, or your BSD machine is going through some proxy in the company
 - Now, type

cd /usr/ports/database/postgresql7

-then type "make install"