Date:      Tue, 9 May 1995 14:25:40 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   distfile ctm synchronisation

I suffer what must be a common problem...
Perhaps someone else has already had a bright idea how to solve it ? ....

- I fetch my ports/distfiles/* aprox once per week (on tape) off a higher
  bandwidth `proper' Internet site.
- I get my ports ctm patches via sendmail, during my brief daily dial up slip.
- If I apply any ctm patches generated after the chronological
  freefall/distfiles equivalent, the make often breaks, as some new distfile
  is needed.

One solution that occurs to me is rather too crude:
a mailing list for people who want to receive all new ports/distfiles,
uuencoded via mail.
	This would be unattractive heavy traffic, both for freefall & recipient
	mail (& rather tedious re-assembling). It would result in megabytes
	of un-necessary traffic too, viz the xc-[1-4].gz that arrived in ports
	recently, where some folks already have those megabytes on cd-rom etc.

So, Anyone got any bright ideas ?

Julian S	Munich