Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:12:20 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Still not sure about STABLE and CURRENT

I'm not sure what was said earlier in this thread, but for a 24/7 server,
you probably shouldn't use -stable and should definitely avoid -current.

From the handbook:

"Changes go into this branch at a different pace, and with the general
assumption that they have first gone into FreeBSD-CURRENT first for testing.
This is still a development branch, however, and this means that at any
given time, the sources for FreeBSD-STABLE may or may not be suitable for
any particular purpose."

and:

"FreeBSD-CURRENT is the latest working sources for FreeBSD. This includes
work in progress, experimental changes, and transitional mechanisms that
might or might not be present in the next official release of the software.
While many FreeBSD developers compile the FreeBSD-CURRENT source code daily,
there are periods of time when the sources are not buildable. These problems
are resolved as expeditiously as possible, but whether or not
FreeBSD-CURRENT brings disaster or greatly desired functionality can be a
matter of which exact moment you grabbed the source code in!"

In general, I would stick with point releases (4.4, 4.5) and, if any bugs
are found that effect you, patch them specifically.
You /can/ go with -stable if you want, which would give you all of the
latest patches and enhancements that are not bleeding edge, but I have found
that every once-in-a-while it fails to build for me, though after it builds
I have never had a stability problem. (This is FreeBSD, after all)
Note that, at least for me, -stable tends to have tons of broken ports. This
may be my fault though, as has been the case a few times in the past.