Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 13:43:14 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
Cc:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: am i hacked???

I was wondering if perhaps certain data were embedded in the 'utmp'
written to CDROM and if he might not be seeing this.

(I have seen similar puzzling output after installing Solaris which was
ultimately traced to this cause.)

-- richard

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 10:43:09AM -0500, Duraid wrote:
> > my w output is not accurate and my last is showing Dec 31 while it
> > begins on March 1.
> > what do you think?
> >
> > Duraid
>
> Looks like your /var/run/utmp may be corrupted. You should be able to
> shutdown to single user and
>
>         # cp /dev/null /var/run/utmp
>
> to clear it up. The output from last depends on /var/log/wtmp, which
> only gets rotated if your machine is up on month-end.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
203.556.8471 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA