Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:21:12 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 03:18:19PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:19:31PM +0100, a little birdie told me
> that Nik Clayton remarked
> >
> > Does anyone have any objections to /usr/local/share/doc/fdp/ as the root
> > path for the documentation?  'fdp' is a little bit cryptic, but I like
> > TLAs, and the only other alternative I could think of ('docproj', or
> > 'doc-proj') is quite ugly.
>
> Why /usr/local/share instead of /usr/share?

Because it's not part of the base system (i.e., under the src/ tree in
the repository).  I was under the impression that this is a reasonably
formal rule (i.e., anything that's not in src/ gets installed under
/usr/local/ (or wherever the appropriate Makefile variable is set to))
but that some things ignore it.  For example, the Japanese manual pages
install under /usr/share/man/ja, not /usr/local/share/man/ja.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>