Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 20:16:39 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdcur@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

> Apparantly they have had a great deal of problems with this board and are not
>
> 	Can anyone comment on this?  I've always had good dealing with
> the ASUS brand of motherboards, but is there an equivalent ASUS motherboard
> that ppl would recommend?

well.

i've used the DX board for a while, but not with dual cpu's... didnt have
any reasonable way to get smp part at the time... too bad.

and i had no problems whatsoever with it running freebsd...

> 	I'm wondering if their "great deal of problems" might have been
> with earlier models, and they just said to hell with carrying it altogether?

i have no idea. unless.

the board is _very_ picky about what kinds ram you throw into it. if it's
edo/true parity ram, expect probs unless it's high quolity ram.

example. with poor ram i got easy crashes when the parity check was on,
finally it messed up the inodes from sd0a. then i turned that off, and
got signal 11's and strange errors with cc... and _all_ that went away
right after i changed the ram, now the servers are very happy...

and for the record the asus boards are not bug free either.

and what makes the said DX interesting is the onboard aic7880, since the
board is _cheaper_ than a HX and 2940UW PCI card. atleast here.

anyway, i prefer the said board over asus any day coz of the six simm
slots and the _easy_ dip switch (only 4) speed configuring...

ofcourse, since the latest asus supports these incredible bus speeds,
it gets pretty tempting, but. (notice that i havent got my hands on
tyans so far)

and i _do_ run the servers at work now using the HX version. which is
very close to the DX in any ways.

while i'm posting, anyone got any information from the TX chipset? since
_that_ is something i am interested in testing. gigabyte will have a
board out with that chipset very soon after it's out i've been told.

> Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
> Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org

mickey
--